December 8, 2010

We're still here...

It's been longer than usual since I posted anything, but we are still alive and well.  Well, three of us are well.  One of us (my sweet eldest) is recovering from a yucky stomach virus.  That, unfortunately, makes all things yucky.  She is breakin' my heart with the "Mommy hugs" as she follows me around the house with her blanket, and I have taken many moments to cuddle with my girl.  We have pushed the pause button on potty training for these days (is it bad that I'm loving the small break?), and I know it's for the best, for many reasons :)  Here are some random things that have been going on.  Most of them are horribly boring.  BUT, they are still on my mind, so perhaps they're worth noting?

* We had our first snow Saturday night.  It really only left us a dusting, but it was wintery and fun while it lasted.  We hit a local parade that evening, and it was quaint to see the flakes falling on our way to the sights. Elyse was astounded by the marching bands (her jaw just dropped), and Emily had the time of her life squealing and squawking throughout the parade (I know it was more about getting to stay up late than the powerful parade scenery).
* I am back at making baby food.  I'm amazed how not a big deal it is this time around.  I am so glad.  Em loves eating and is getting better at it all the time.  Her favorite combo is peas & rice.  Yum??

* Elyse has entered a new phase of spitting food out.  Most of the time, it's just for fun.  She then likes to play with it on her plate.  Seriously, it's SO gross.  She isn't getting away with it, but if I catch her after stepping out of the room, I almost just have to stare at what a strange sight it is.  Wow.

* I am getting so excited for Christmas!  I got a large portion of our Amazon.com order today, and it was so fun to see what came.  I am excited to be with my parents & brother & sis-in-law for Christmas this year. . . AND, for Miss Elyse's 2nd birthday!
* The girls are really amused by each other these days.  Elyse LOVES to get right up in Emily's face and get a reaction.  Thankfully, she's getting smiles in response to that, but someday she might get a smack from Em?  When I watch them, it's like watching little secrets pass between them.  I know it's only the beginning of sister language :)

* I've started giving the girls baths together most nights, and although Elyse doesn't get to have a mountain of bubbles when Emily's in there (I think we'd lose her!), she seems to like the extra entertainment.  Getting the girls ready for bed in tandem is always interesting, but it sure is fun.

* Emily is finding her impatient voice.  It is hilarious, but so LOUD.  Elyse then thinks that she's allowed to be so expressive, and I think she's thinking about how unfair I am... :)
* Bedtime has been hilarious lately.  Emily can now scoot to whatever position is most convenient to watch Elyse's antics.  Sometimes even after Elyse is passed OUT, Em will still be waiting in there for giggles.

* Emily went through this stage just before she turned 6 months old that I don't want to repeat.  She was up several times a night for weeks, and just a week or so ago, she stopped.  Thank you, Emily!  I sure hope it was a growth spurt.  We still see no signs of teeth.  I can't believe she's almost 7 months old.

* Jordan and I enjoyed a nice night out on Monday.  We've started swapping more with A&I, and I hope we can keep it up.  We enjoyed dinner, shopping & a hot chocolate date.  I love my husband.  Seriously, I do :)
* We bought Elyse a new pair of glasses last week, and I about cried when I put them on her.  We didn't have a ton of options to choose from, and though I like the actual glasses, they seem WAY too old for her.  I have a feeling I'm going to say that about any pair that isn't pink with cable temples :)  We still have some "adjustments" to make on them, but she'll probably be wearing them soon.  This pair she's wearing is about to just pop off her head.  She also quit calling "glasses" "goggies," and I'm so sad about that.  She now says "glasses" clear as a bell.  *sigh*
* I can't believe 2011 is right around the corner.  I am amazed by what God has done this year.  He is so very good, in "good" times and in "bad."  I sometimes feel like I'm a little "Emily": just learning to digest the amazing things about him.  Each little taste I have of his grace is such a wonderful reminder that this life is NOT about me.  And, as much as I love my family, it's not about them, either.  It's about Jesus.

3 comments:

kellyH said...

wow, I can't believe Elyse is almost two! because that means my baby is almost two!!! G LOVED our Cmas parade as well and the drums were his absolute fave! glad to hear things are going so well!!

shanna said...

"I sometimes feel like I'm a little 'Emily': just learning to digest the amazing things about him. Each little taste I have of his grace is such a wonderful reminder that this life is NOT about me. And, as much as I love my family, it's not about them, either. It's about Jesus."

Oh, man. That was good.

I miss you!

jeileenbaylor said...

So wonderful to hear and see the update and such a refreshing last statement. Thanks for the reminder!