One year from THIS
to THIS.
Amazing. What a precious year. I've had this feeling since the day I entered the hospital a year ago - I just knew he'd make our family feel even more complete. He did. What a precious gift from GOD! If you need to read the birth story for posterity's sake, you can do so here. Not everyone all at once, please :) It's been a wonderful year - despite the exhaustion of baby #3, sleepless nights here and there while we toyed with a dairy-free diet for mommy and baby, cutting 8 vicious teeth, ... not one of those things really matters when you look at a little boy that just turns on the charm at whim. Who is he like? Good question. He's spunky and goofy (perhaps a bit more like Mommy's side), yet chill and focused - determined and tough (surely Daddy's side :) I can't wait to watch him grow and develop. He holds his own quite well for being "little bro" around here - tolerates the girls dragging him around the house to "reposition" him after he's been caught digging in their special toys... he doesn't mind crawling around in rocks - wearing shorts no less - (can you tell I'm used to raising two girls??) - and I love how tough he is. As tough as he is, though, he is by far my most snuggly kid. He loves to sit and cuddle - play with my face or ears and chant "mama' like it's going out of style. YES, I cherish every moment. Not wasting this precious time of life.
Jake is about to transition from cat-food-smelling formula to almond milk, so we'll see how it goes. He has no problem with peanut butter or eggs, thankfully, so we'll probably be introducing some cheese or yogurt soon to see how it goes. Either way, I'm ready to be done with the $27 cans of formula that buy us a week of nutrition... He has started to thumb his nose at some of his old favorite foods, but he is definitely still an eater. He still loves bananas and sweet potatoes, and fruit is always a hit. He loves broccoli, but shies away from breads most of the time. Now HATES avocado. Bummer. Anyway, he's the messiest kid, but I'm glad to watch him get what he needs.
He's getting chatty- his vocab isn't that much different from last post - "buh-bye" with a wave, sometimes a "ya" with a wave for 'HI' - "mama" and "dada" - "nana" for anything he wants to be a banana ;) - "nigh nigh" with a wave at bedtime.. pretty fun. I love that he's trying to converse with us. It's so fun.
He's cruising like a camero - he can stand by himself for a few seconds at a time, but then giggles and plops down like it's a game. He loves to cover his eyes and play peek a boo - and he BEGS to be tickled! I love to oblige... His favorite is still digging in the plants and pushing buttons of all kinds. He gravitates toward electronics like a bee to honey. He loves to eat off the floor and be near his sisters. He occasionally tries to eat rocks, but he's figuring that one out!
Jakob sleeps about 12.5 hours at night with rarely an interruption (YES!!!) and sleeps about 1.5 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon. He is on an antibiotic for a case of strep throat, so technically he is sick on his birthday. I guess I will have to spoil him a bit. Oh, well! :) We transitioned him right to a sippy cup, so I don't feel that "milestone" that I did with the girls when they turned one. Half of my worries were wrapped up around what they would do when I got rid of the bottle!
Here are some of my one year notes :)
fun's:
* LOVE coming to get him in the morning! He's standing like a little jailbird just giddy to see someone. Yesterday he got so excited that he head-butted his railing and split his lip a little... oops. I am THAT cool to him that he beats himself up just to see me.
* I love watching his various facial expressions. Lately he has been sporting this little smirk that just about takes the cake. He's crazy.
* He does a little engine sound with his mouth that reminds me of what my brother used to do as a baby. So funny!
* He loves to bury his head into my stomach. Weird, I know, but funny!
* He's so adventurous. He pushed a box over to his dresser last night just so he could stand up on it. The smug look on his face was awesome.
* I love that we're able to give him foods that aren't super soft- he does ok with apple slices now and some crispier foods as long as I'm watching him like a hawk. He still has just his 8 teeth- all in the front- but it's surely going to be time for molars soon.
* He loves to crawl into my lap.
* Did I mention I'm DONE with cloth diapering? And NOT because he's potty trained.
* He's learning to give kisses :)
* The look when he's caught red-handed= pretty adorable ;)
not-so-fun's:
* This kid is a food "dropper" now. No more throwing food- just casually, innocently plopping it onto the floor. He must just be crying out for quality time from his parents, right?
* He just started screeching when he's impatient. I'm very sad about this.
* The reason I'm done cloth diapering. That's a not-so-fun for sure.
* His consistent injuries. Geesh.
* The last month or so, Jakob's been up just whimpering in the night - maybe once a week? I tried everything from letting him go to checking his diaper... FINALLY figured out the link to him not eating a big dinner and the midnight whining. I can't believe it took me so long, but after I figured it out, a banana solved the problem and he went right back to sleep. This midnight snack had better not haunt us!
* He is into everything. It's not a bad thing, but it does keep life busy. When I just make myself sit and play with him, it's much easier :)
* It's so bitter-sweet watching him turn one. I love this boy, and I know I'll always "miss" the baby in him. He will always be my baby, I'm sure, and I treasure every day with him!
Jakob Henry, you are definitely our child. For better or worse, we are seeing so much of US in YOU! You brighten every day with your sweet personality and your goofy antics. We can't wait to see God use you as you come to know him. You have a wonderful heritage of men who follow God, and we trust that someday that will impact you deeply. Happy birthday to you, buddy!









No comments:
Post a Comment