Emily loves to put everything in her mouth. If she can get her shirt, excellent. If she can get her fist, even better. Toys will do, too, as long as they're the right texture. She loves to grab at my face, and I know she's getting close to trying to put that in her mouth, too. I love seeing her focus on grabbing something... she's trying so. very. hard. to get it - and- oops, missed. I also love when I see her get distracted and she ends up looking at her own fingers in awe. Seeing the way her little eyes take in the big world makes me marvel. I love how she catches her breath when the wind is blowing on her face. How often I ignore the beauty & wonder all around me. Emily seems on the small end of the charts to me, still, but I'll know more when I take her in next week for her check-up. She adores watching Elyse, and Elyse has the most success getting this girl to giggle. I must say, Emily does not seem quite as free-spirited as her sister was at this age. She seems much more reserved, and though she loves to "talk" and smile often, she is determined to make us work at getting her to laugh. I love her flirty smiles and the way she wiggles her eyebrows at us when she's just begging for more attention. She is still scooting all over her crib, but she has no desire to get on her knees and crawl around :) She will roll from her tummy to her back once in a while but has not tried rolling the other way yet.
(Don't you love this "I'm sick of pictures" response?? I do.)
Here are my fun's and not-so-fun's for this age. There are so many other things I could list about what Emily is doing, but most of them are details only Mommy and Daddy care about :)
fun's:
* she's ticklish under her chin. putting her jammies on and zipping them up is always fun :)
* she loves to be teased and lights up when you play peek-a-boo with her.
* I love that she will still fall asleep on me often. seriously, I could hold her forever.
* Emily has found her thumb, but she still prefers to suck on her index finger knuckle. strange, huh?
* I love watching her light up when Elyse comes over for kisses or to just say "hi!"
* she holds onto the changing table almost every time she's there as if she might fall off :)
* she loves loves loves to stand (with help, of course :) this is foreign to me, as big E preferred to SIT.
* she is enjoying "trying" to sit up, but she's still pretty floppy.
* she makes the cutest face when she gets close to a toy with a "face" on it. her expression seems to say, "why, hello, toy!"
* she can still sleep in the corner of a noisy room, but I know those days are coming to an end!
* I love bringing her into our bed when she's up early- I think that might be my favorite time of day with her, after a long night's sleep. she is almost giddy.
* My mom has a theory that every second girl on our side of the family will be left-handed. So far, she's been proven right. Emily seems to be taking after her mommy :)
not-so-fun's:
* I truly am getting a glimpse of her temper now and then, and it makes me pray hard that she will learn compliance someday soon :)
* I am kind of dreading the start of this food-thing. I do feel like she needs it, but I will miss the days of not having to pack "meals" for the times we're out. Welcome back, baby food!
* it's not exactly easy to tote her around in the car seat anymore, especially when Elyse has one of my hands. THANK YOU, Elyse, for learning to walk, though! :) I try to utilize my sling or my carrier whenever possible.
* I thought I would have a much easier time leaving Emily in the nursery, or with babysitters, etc... than I did with Elyse. Actually, it's harder for some reason. Maybe it's knowing what a dynamic duo they can be :)
* I packed up all the newborn clothes the other day, and I almost cried as I remembered getting most of them only "yesterday."
I have been pondering more and more recently the beauty of this life God grants us. My girls are such a huge part of God's display of his grace to me and Jordan. I look into their eyes now and know that someday they will look back at me with older eyes; eyes that have seen more of the world & eyes that know life isn't perfect. So, for today, I will continue to look into Emily's sweet little wide-eyed face and enjoy introducing her to the beauty of the life around us. I will enjoy the fact that she doesn't care that mommy hasn't plucked her eyebrows or done her hair... All she knows how to show is adoration, and I'm fine with that :) I love being her mommy. It's been a happy six months, Emily Mae. You are a treasure!





4 comments:
She is so cute! I lover her zippered pj's--where did you find those? I hear you on the high metabolism--my girls got it, but it didn't come from me :( I always love reading your reflections on your girls--so sweet!
I found those at a consignment store in Norfolk- maybe Mommy & Me Consignment? I can't remember. I know, I love pj's with zippers! Let me know if you need any- I probably have a bunch laying around :)
The part about looking into their eyes resonated with me and touched my heart.
What a great post! Reading that she holds on to the changing table made me laugh out loud.
Post a Comment