January 5, 2011

Suzy's Zoo

I resorted to keeping track of the girls' info/funnies on a calendar hanging in their room.  As I was meandering through the dollar section at Target a few weeks ago, I stumbled upon a Suzy's Zoo calendar that was just the style I wanted to use for 2011.  It was only a few days later that the irony hit me.  I often think of my small domain as Suzy's Zoo :)  Here are some of our happenings of late:

* We had such a wonderful Christmas.  We headed up to Indiana to celebrate with my parents, as it had been way too long since we joined them for Christmas.  It was just awesome, marked only by the not-so-fun absence of my sister and her clan... staying put while they wait for the arrival of their little guy, due ANY DAY.  Have I mentioned how excited I am?!?!  

* I've got another niece/nephew in the oven, courtesy of my sweet sister-in-law, Bethany (I guess I should give Seth some credit, too :) !  I am so ecstatic, I can hardly stand it.  

* The girls have LOTS of new entertainment around the house, after such lovely gifts came their way.  Elyse is enjoying all of her toys so much, and as a result, so is Mommy!  Emily is enjoying them, too- she loves to play with just about anything she can get her hands on.

* Em is finally sitting up!  It's so fun to see her sit up so straight with such a concentrated expression on her face.  She has her fair share of topples, but she's doing pretty well.

* Elyse has started asking where "Baby Daddy" is.  What?  Not sure how that came about, but I have a feeling it goes hand in hand with Baby Emily.  Poor Jordan :)  Thankfully, she hasn't made it a permanent label, but it's sure to get a laugh out of Mommy.

* Elyse has another fun phrase, "I like that!"  She will comment that she likes that song, or that cd, or even that breakfast :)

* Jordan so graciously shared with Elyse that Mommy and Daddy "make out."  Thank you, hun.  Today I listened to Elyse repeat, "Mommy?  Daddy and Mommy make OUT, Mommy, Daddy and Mommy make OUT!!!"  Why do I have a feeling that will come back to bite him?

* Emily is jabbering all the time these days.  She's into saying "ra-ra-ra" and has even let out a couple of "da-da" noises.  It's so fun to watch her enjoy her voice!

* Elyse describes everything lately as "little, tiny" OR "big, big, big, big."  She doesn't always get them right, though, and lately our bed has been the little, tiny bed.  The other day she noted that Elyse was big, big funny :)  AGREED.

* Elyse is also into making everything take a nap.  Her milk takes a little, tiny nap, and so does her blanket.  She loves to see Daddy resting on the couch (which doesn't happen very often, much to his chagrin) and note that "Daddy's takin' a snooze!"  

* Speaking of blankets, Elyse has really started to get clingy with blankets.  She doesn't have a favorite, but they seem to be the new companion.  If she's sad, she immediately asks for a blanket.  If we're sitting on the couch together, she MUST have a blanket present.  I'm not sure if this is normal for a 2 year old, but it sure is funny.  Thankfully, we've still been able to leave the house without them :)

* Elyse has also learned to ask us to sit by her.  She says, "Sit-a-by-a you, Mommy, sit-a-by-a you!"  She pats the floor, just to make sure we get it :)  

* Emily is really turning into a clown.  Seriously, she's just waiting to goof off with someone!  I sure am curious as to what personality this little gal will develop.  She seems to be a stinker!

* Em cut her first two teeth while we were up in Indiana (it's always something, right?) - the first bottom tooth on Christmas Day, and the second bottom tooth 2 days later.  It could have been worse, and we only ended up with one night of sadness.

* Jordan and I both got sick on the tail-end of our trip, and we had to delay our departure a day to make sure we were road-worthy :)  Thankfully we made it home in one piece.  Rats, another day at Mom's and Dad's. :)  

* Tonight, Emily was sitting in her high chair, playing with a rattle while I got her dinner ready.  She dropped the rattle (NOT unusual), and Elyse walked right over, picked it up and handed it to Emily.  I make sure I went right over to Elyse to tell her what a kind gesture that was, and how kindness shows love to Emily...  Anyway, Elyse got a shy little expression on her face, reached over for the rattle, threw it on the floor, picked it up, and handed it back to Emily.  Yes, she then looked at me with great anticipation for praise :)  Back to SQUARE ONE.

* We hung out with friends on New Years' Eve until after 2am.  Seriously, that might be a personal record since mommy-hood.  I definitely paid for that later.  These two didn't get the memo that Mommy would have loved to sleep in :)  Happy New Year!!!



6 comments:

juliechall said...

Ok - I love "Baby Daddy" - it's just the kind of thing that makes sense in a toddler's head. I also have to ask myself why dads think it's funny to teach there kids to say things that will inevitably be embarrassing at some point. Do they just assume they won't be around when it pops out?

Nate, Kris, Adrianna and Natalie said...

These two are WAY too cute and hilarious! I love the pictures - Emily looks like such a stinker in them. :) Wish I could give them a big squeeze!!!

kellyH said...

glad you had such a great holiday! I know, staying up late never seems worth it, because when do mommys get to catch up on sleep?! very cute pics of the 2 girls! I love when they're beginning to talk and come up with the craziest things!

jeileenbaylor said...

haha! Loved all of those comments by Elyse! Maddy says that "sit by you?" and Mommy Hold you?" It's so precious, isn't it?! I love those pics too - adorable! I'm trying to pay attention closely to Amily's updates bc before I know it Rose will be there!

Rob said...

Sue, I really enjoyed reading your blog yesterday and wanted to come right on down there and spend a day with my little ladies! Great stuff--I felt like I was right there and could just hear Elyse gabbing away.

Love you all and hope you're feeling better!

Dad

Donna said...

Dear Sue, This was delightful reading! I don't know why I haven't gotten on here in recent weeks, but I will surely do so more often. Thank you for sharing such delightful situations and expressions. I'm still laughing. I agree with Pops...I want to come right down there and spend time with these precious and 'crazy' girls. Hugs to all, Mom/Gramm