February 1, 2011

Where, oh where have we been?

Well, it was a very NOT NORMAL January for us.  We were busier than normal, sicker than normal, and I'm really hoping February is different!  I'm looking forward to finding my footing in 2011, and if it the rest of the year is anything like January, we're in trouble :)  Here's a little of what's been up around our household...

* We're still dealing with leftover cold symptoms: coughs, drips, LONG NAPS... Oh, that's one I'm actually thankful for!  I am ready for flu season to be GONE, but I am so thankful for health most of the year.  So many would love to have health most of the year.

* Gramm Heijermans came to visit last week, and we had a blast.  The girls loved their time with her, and I probably used her visit too much as an excuse to do nothing around here.  :)  BUT, it was a wonderful visit, and I sure wish we lived closer.


* Elyse has been asking to sing "Bobbalo."  I've figured out that she just wants to sing the "B-I-B-L-E" song :)   Another favorite song is "Jesus, Thank You."  We sang it in church together on Sunday, and her face was priceless!  Elyse has been sitting on my lap for the first portion of the service before she is dismissed to her big kid class, and she is very perturbed by how long she is required to be quiet.  She was especially annoyed when Daddy sat by us for Scripture reading and then had to get back up to lead worship.  "Where'd Daddy go?!" I also coughed one Sunday, and she responded with, "Mommy burped!"

* Emily probably hasn't had a day without a drippy nose in weeks.  Poor baby.  She is surprisingly in a great mood, and she is seriously turning into a little goober.  This child is just cracking up at everything!

* I took a cake decorating class with a friend in January.  We had such a great time!  I had to miss a class due to sickies, but the other three were very fun.  Here's a picture of my graduation cake :)  (NO MOCKING)


* Elyse is talking even more than she used to.  Is that possible?  Yes, it is.  It is, and she does.  She loves to say, "Say thank you, Mommy, for the milk.  Thank you, Mommy!"  I think she's a little parrot :)  I also love hearing her tell me she's doing a good job at something.  The problem is, she's now reminding me when to thank her for something... Oh, boy.

* Em is into clapping things together & grabbing everything she can get her hands on.  She's ALSO incredibly scared of hair dryers, elevators, vacuum cleaners, and anything else that might startle her.  Poor girl!


* I ordered a book from amazon.com last night at 8:30pm.  I got it this morning at 11am.  WOW.

* My girls love to play, and I've chosen to enjoy that lately instead of fighting it.  Often, I'll be doing dishes while they giggle in the living room, or I'll be picking up toys around them while they're having a blast in the middle of their room.  Seriously, I have a feeling I'm going to regret that.  Sure, I know my house needs to be clean & that my girls need to be able to play alone every so often, but sometimes I just need to enjoy them.  SO, I am.  My house can still get clean, but I'm finding more ways to enjoy these two little girls while they like my attention :)

* I have a secret.  I normally don't get stir crazy.  I have to say normally, because there are times (especially after sickness!) that I feel the walls closing in around me.  BUT, on a regular basis, I'm a homebody.  I really have to make myself get out, and when I do, I always have a great time.  All that to say: these wintery days aren't getting on my nerves.... YET.


* Jordan and I have been laughing a lot at the dinner table.  Let's just say, our conversations have become kid-infested :)  So, THIS is what it's like to eat with kids!!?!?!  Not only will she repeat every other other word we say, but Elyse will also pepper our conversation with other goofiness.... like informing us of every time she burps, or getting our attention just to make a funny face.  Needless to say, we now see how important it is to move her bedtime up to 5pm so we can eat in peace.  Okay, just kidding on that one...

* Well, that's enough boring for one night.  Now you know where we've been :)

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

So sorry you had such a rough month! Your cake looked great! And those girls are just too cute! I am glad you are spending time playing instead of cleaning--you won't regret that for sure! Good reminder for me and my cleaning zealousness :)

Laura D said...

I am SO impressed with your cake! I always love the updates.

kellyH said...

well, I certainly hope your february is MUCH better!! Elyse is promoting Apple already? :)
sounds like you're still having fun with this funny stage!

Anonymous said...

Fun times! I feel lucky to have been around you during parts of January despite on the busy-ness and sickies! I think your cake is awesome and you're in trouble, because I may be asking you to make some VB Police cupcakes someday! HeeHee.

Nate, Kris, Adrianna and Natalie said...

First, your cake is stupendous - never in my life could I make something that good-looking. Second, Emily DOES look like a Sailors! Third, what's up with amazon.com - that's too weird! Fourth, love all your stories. Hope you can enjoy some "healthy" time now. Kiss the girls for me!

juliechall said...

Thanks for the update...hope to see you out and about soon! And I love your cake - truly gorgeous :)