November 1, 2011

There's always a story.

Always.  Sometimes the story might seem unremarkable, and sometimes it's quite the opposite.  I don't feel like I have to post this story, but I don't necessarily want to forget it, either :)  AND, I know I can laugh about this because it is such a perfect reminder of one of our little mottos over the last few years of life... sometimes if it can happen, it will :)

I jokingly started 2011 by stating that our New Year's resolution was NOT to have a baby.  Well, technically, we will meet that resolution.  Don't get me wrong: I LOVE the way our girls are spaced 17 months apart.  It has worked so well.  It's crazy at times, but I don't think I've ever met a mother of two who has said it's never crazy at times.  That being said, Jordan and I thought that it would be wise to make the spacing a bit larger next time.  Normally, we're not very indecisive people, but in this situation, we just decided to put off thinking about having a third child.  Mostly because we couldn't decide when.  We live in a two bedroom duplex, and though we took care of upgrading the size of our vehicle this spring, a few other *ahem* major changes seem to be in order for the arrival of another sweet baby.  Here is the how-we-found-out story...  These details are not exaggerated.

Rewind to...
August 1:  We settle in at our cabin in northern MN, and this gal is starting to feel a little odd.
August 2:  I mention to my sweet husband that I'm not feeling so hot.  He gets this strange look on his face.  We drop the subject.  Entirely.
August 3:  Still feeling sick.  Pregnancy alarms sounding loudly in my head throughout the day.  I ignore them and decide to think about it later.  Leave Jordan out of it.
August 4:  My eyes pop open at 7am.  I just know it.  I wake Jordan up.  He gives me a small, shaky smile.  We spend the morning with my family & try not to think about our afternoon adventure into "town."

We sneakily manage to borrow my sister's vehicle to drive about 10 miles to the nearest town.  No major pharmacies.  Anywhere.  I dash into the only other pharmacy I know of, and I'm pretty sure it's got the same employee that worked there when my Grandma filled prescriptions 50 years ago up there.  Seriously.  I wrote a check for $13 (yes, folks, a check!), and walked out with a name-brand pregnancy test.  I mean, I did have two whole brands to choose from, and there was one of each kind.  Sweet.  We walk over to the local visitor's center across the street where "Crazy Dayz" booths were set up along the street.  Jordan occupied himself examining furniture made out of TREE STUMPS while I disappeared.  When I came out of the visitor's center, my pulse was still pounding in my ears & my knees were weak.  I've seriously only had that a few times in my LIFE, but my knees were practically shaking.  I walk calmly over to my hubby, who has now found a lobster trap he's interested in.  He's deep in conversation for, oh, perhaps TEN MINUTES while I pace calmly about 10 feet away from him.  He doesn't even look my way.  HE KNOWS :)  After eternity passes, he gives me the biggest bear hug and tells me everything is going to be okay.  He's right.  He's awesome.

Our heads were spinning that entire vacation week.  The humorous part was telling my family.  You see, my grandfather (who is 87, by the way) spends a great deal of time planning this trip every year.  He's endured us adding 5 children to our cabin over the last 5 years.  He loves each one.  But, we happened to kind of max out our cabin.  He started the week by just ASKING if we would please try not to add any kids next year.  All in good humor, of course.  We all reassured him that we'd take that into consideration :)  We had such a fun time telling my family that night around the bonfire that we'd have to go back on our word.  Gramps forgave us quite willingly.  He then promptly went to the office the next morning and reserved a second cabin :)  Ah, yes, life is unpredictable.  And, it's fun that way.  This is how my hilarious hubby decided to spread the news on FB... silly guy.


I can't wait to meet this baby.  There's something so fun about knowing God had our family planned long before we did!  And, I love having one less decision to make... you know, as if it's up to us anyways, right?  Three kids in 3.5 years is just plain ol' fun.  Kids really are a blessing from God.  We seriously couldn't be happier right now!

6 comments:

kellyH said...

somehow I missed this story until now.....but thank you for sharing!! I am wondering how your house is going to adjust to #3. :)
I can't wait to find out what you're having!!

JordanandSue said...

Ha, I know- we're "casually" looking for a place, but we're too cheap to pay much more in rent... don't want to buy... Could end up selling everything we own and buying compact ikea furniture :) Fun, right?

shanna said...

Loved reading your story! : ) Happy for you guys. : )

Melody said...

What a fun story, Sue! I love how God works. You guys will be great with 3 (or more for that matter I'm sure). ;) I know it probably seems overwhelming to think about, but isn't comforting that God is sovereign over EVERY detail? I keep reminding myself that as I anticipate adding #4 in just a few weeks ... so I know how to pray for you!

jeileenbaylor said...

THANK YOU for sharing this - it totally cracked tim and I up. I just read it aloud to him :) EVeryone always wants to know those random crazy details, and you gave us all the juicy bits :) Do I sound British? haha! Love you guys - you're gonna be great! BTW - what will the month difference be between #3 and Em?

JordanandSue said...

Julie, you DO sound British! :) Em & Jake will be 23 months apart. Yea, these crazy days sure are fun... I have to remember that! Seeing pictures of all of your children remind me that we're in a pretty special stage of life.. one that we'll probably miss for years to come. Melody, so happy for you guys on #4!!!