Suzy's Zoo..... I love my little zoo and hope this blog will help me remember all that is too easily forgotten. I'm learning to love the little things, enjoy the whole, and (all the while) love the God who gives all good things.
September 9, 2009
In the blink of an eye...
... my baby is becoming a big girl. Well, she's not exactly big, but she seems to be changing more and more each day. I think the most frequent piece of advice that I have received over the last 17 months (from pregnancy on) from other parents is to enjoy every minute, because those precious minutes are gone in a split-second. I remember holding Elyse in the hospital and specifically determining that I would enjoy every day with her. It sounds so simple, yet the days get so busy. I've learned that it is something I have to consciously do every day, or I'll fall into bed at night and forget the expressions on her face or the funny things she did. It often isn't easy to enjoy the new meal-time messes, but the sweet face she makes when she eats is worth every nasty pile of mush. I'm not a huge fan of this new "whining" stage she's in (YES, we're working on signing!) right now, yet her look of excitement when I finally leave the kitchen sink full of dishes to play with her for a while is worth it. That short nap that surprises me every so often (only ever when I'm trying to get a few hours of work in for my "paid" job) is a real pain, but seeing her happy little face when I surprise her by getting her UP is such a joy. I have enjoyed these months so much, perhaps more so since I have determined to enjoy every minute. Alas, I'll probably look back and wonder why I didn't enjoy it more... Honestly, much of the advice I received (and still receive) about parenting was worth about nothing, but that was one tip I am glad I took. One of my favorite pieces of advice was from a former coworker and goes something like this: the dishes, laundry and cleaning can all wait... take a nap. I keep reminding Jordan of that, but for some reason, he think's she's full of bologna?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
This is the advice that was the most helpful to me too. I remember hearing it over and over and over. I remember thinking during a couple of nights when I was so tired that it didn't seem to me like the nights flew by very quickly. But now looking back, it was such a small part of the big picture.
And my baby just turned 4! I can hardly believe it. (And now that I'm pregnant, she is constantly talking about when she grows up and has a baby in her tummy. I cringe to think of her being that grown up -- but I know that time flies by so quickly that I will be surprised at how quickly it comes!) Fortunately, I have lots of days to enjoy between now and then!
so true about most people telling you CRAP. :) I can't wish for the next stage because then the sweet things of this stage will be gone forever! NOT looking forward to the finger food thing. :)
love the pic of you threesome!
I totally agree! I have been really trying to soak in those moments. It's so hard for me to leave the laundry or dishes to just get on the floor and play with her - but it is so worth it! When I get on the floor and crawl around -her eyes get so big and she just giggles. I love it!
So sweet!!! Yes, she's turning into such a big girl. I just watched her dancing on facebook and laughed so hard - she's adorable. Glad you're enjoying every minute of it - my main regrets in parenting are not savoring each moment a little more. Give Elyse big kisses from Auntie Kris - can't wait to see her in a month!!!!
Yes! Having a little person continually changing and growing right in front of you is such a tangible way to see that life is passing (I imagine), and that is a gift, true for all of us!
Post a Comment