June 19, 2010

ONE month old!

Emily Mae is one month old today. What in the world? I know this is only the beginning of how fast she will grow up, and I am determined to enjoy every moment. I don't always succeed, but I keep determining to succeed :) Emily is still quite tiny, and I really have no idea what she weighs... at her 2 week appointment, she was 7.5 pounds, but I can definitely see that she's filling out! I'm enjoying the fact that she is actually awake after eating, and I love to see her look around and check out her surroundings. She LOVES to be held, and, I admit, we indulge her a lot. Most of the time, it's easier to tote her around the house as I care for Elyse, and Em is just fine with that. Yes, it will probably come back to bite us! Emily, from birth, was quite a night owl. We have spent many a night roaming the house with her, praying she will doze off. This is new for us, as Elyse seemed to love sleeping at night (though we had a few really exciting nights with her, too), but I really am learning to nap when and where I can. Each week seems to get better, though, and I think she's getting the hang of this whole sleeping-at-night thing. As desperate as I am for a routine, I will desperately miss having my little girl doze off on my tummy or in my arms. These weeks are so precious! Sleep will come later, right? :) My husband has been a lifesaver in every sense of the word, and there is NO way I can fathom how mommies manage 2 little ones with no help. He has patiently stepped into every realm of this household, including the realm of diapers, cooking, shopping, bathing the girls, and the list could go on. I have truly seen the love of Christ in the love of my husband. We've had lots of quality bonding time. Parenting two really does redefine parenting! Funny story: we were leaving church the very first Sunday we had 2 girls, and we had yet to get a double stroller. I was pushing one girl, and Jordan was pushing the other. He sweetly looked over at me and commented that parenting with me was pretty fun. In many ways, it really does feel like we just started this game :) These girls are so blessed to have such a wonderful dad. Well, I should type out a few of my "fun's" and "not-so-fun's" for Emily to have for posterity's sake...

fun's:

* the dreamy smiles are seriously the cutest thing in the world
* the smell of a newborn
* the way her lips form a little "o" as if she's deep in thought
* the sleepy looks she gives me in the middle of the night when I'm barely conscious
* the REAL smiles I've started to get- can't wait for more!
* tiny fingers and toes
* soft, fuzzy hair
* imagining what fun these two girls will have together in a couple of years

not-so-fun's:

* I miss sleep.
* a lot.
* hiccups that brutally disturb the deepest of Emily's sleep
* flying by the seat of my pants :)
* our car is seriously a baby-mobile. I see the need for a minivan.
* hearing Emily scream after she hears her sister scream... in a totally different way :-/
* waking up and having my first thought be, "am I going to have time for a shower today?"
* I still haven't been able to mesh the girls' schedules... project #1 for this month!





We love you, Emily! I promise, you won't always have to live in a messy house and wear the same outfit two days in a row. Mommy will get her act together sometime! This IS temporary!

6 comments:

Nate, Kris, Adrianna and Natalie said...

Oh she's so precious! And yes, you will get your act together within a matter of weeks, I promise. :) And believe it or not, you almost won't remember this unscheduled, sleepy, chaotic time. It will fade away into a distant memory. :) Give Emily a kiss for me!

juliechall said...

I just love her!!! She is so sweet. I've been thinking about what this transition must be like. Hang in there - remember that full night sleep is not as far away as you think :) it just feels like it sometimes. Let me know how I can help!

Katie Barker said...

I enjoyed catching up on your journey with 2. Emily sounds so adorable~ and it sounds like you've got such a great perspective :)

shanna said...

Aw, you guys are so sweet. Love what Jordan said on the way out of church. :) Happy one-month, Emily!

kellyH said...

oh, my, running a house of 2 seems definitely overwhleming! Hope that sleep comes soon!! love hearing the update!

Anonymous said...

You made me laugh with the way you concluded your post. Um, is it normal that I wear the same outfit two days in a row sometimes?!?! Ha ha ha. I enjoy reading the fun's/not-so-fun's each time you post them.