June 24, 2009

6 Months Old!


Today is a very special day. Our little lady is 6 months old. Originally, we planned to celebrate her birthday on her half birthday every year (since a Christmas Eve birthday seems less than ideal), but we both decided that God gave her to us on Christmas Eve, so we should celebrate on Christmas Eve! Poor kid :) She sure has been cracking me up lately. Although she is a mellow little girl overall, she does have a temper. Jordan's mom told me often that he was so contented as a baby, and I can see that trait in Elyse already. I can also see much of my short fuse when she feels like showing it, but hopefully Jordan's side will win over time :) Six months from now we'll be celebrating her first birthday, so I want to enjoy today all the more. We made a deal in the hospital that she wouldn't grow up, and obviously, she's not keeping her end of the bargain! Here are some of my current "funs" and "not-so-fun's":

Funs:

* smiling so proudly when she manages to sit up for a few minutes without toppling over
* she's awake more than 5 hours a day, now- it's at least 6 or 7 (ha!)
* she laughs sometimes at her bedtime stories- probably for no reason, but it's fun
* she'll just about giggle on command these days
* she started grabbing Jordan's chin and feels the whiskers :)
* her new gurgling sound
* hearing her jabber in her crib (for sometimes close to an hour!) before I go to pick her up in the morning. As soon as she sees either of us, she flaps around like she's trying to fly.

...not-so-fun's:

* the frustration of not having mobility, yet not wanting to be mobile..?
* STINKY diapers. Whoa.
* a very powerful, not-so-pleasant, sin-tainted screech!
* seeing her purse her little lips together after only 2 bites of green beans :)

These six months have flown by, but not a day has gone by that I haven't marveled at God's goodness. The beauty of His gifts reflects the beauty of Him. What a precious gift to us she is! We love you, little monkey!

Hyper girl!

I know it's a little fuzzy, but it was the best I could do with Miss Antsy Pants...

Trying to find Daddy's whiskers :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

After reading this post, I feel like it has been way too long since I've seen my sweet niece! She is growing TOO FAST!

shanna said...

I can't believe she's six months old already, Sue. Oh my goodness! Happy half-birthday, Elyse!!

Nate, Kris, Adrianna and Natalie said...

Happy half-birthday to little Elyse! I loved reading about the cute things she does now - Natalie flaps around like a bird too when I go in in the morning. :) They do grow up way too fast. Keep enjoying every little moment!!! Love you, Elyse!!!

Karis said...

This brings back so many memories for me as I think of my two "babies." You're going to be so glad for these blog posts as you look back even a year from now. It's impossible to remember all the special details that it seems one could never forget but then after more and more are added...