June 25, 2009

The best surprise picnic EVER!

It was 7 years ago today that Jordan made me the happiest girl alive with his marriage proposal. I'm sitting here on the couch tonight missing my hubby (who is working late), so I just have to tell you the story. Brace yourself! (Don't worry, I'll spare all the gooey details...) We were maintaining a long-distance relationship the summer of 2002: Jordan was working in Georgia, and I was working in Indiana. Although the thought of a pending proposal did cross my mind, as we began the summer phone calls, I quickly observed that it just wouldn't be possible until MAYBE later in the summer. Jordan was spending time in New England painting and seemed to have a pretty significant commitment every week that would prevent him from making a trip up, so I braced myself for a long summer without seeing him. That summer, I worked mornings at a restaurant (the EARLY shift), and was sent home early on June 25th. Early, being 1pm. I came home to an empty house and found a letter waiting for me on the kitchen table from my boyfriend. I was so excited to read it, and I believe it was postmarked just a few days earlier. When I opened the letter, Jordan told me that since he was missing me, he had planned (with help from my family) a little scavenger hunt to remind me how much he loved & missed me. I was in many ways not surprised in the least, since he was notorious for doing such thoughtful things (I know, GAG). The letter sent me around my town to places we had been, at each place, retrieving a clue. Along with the final clue, I found a box that contained an adorable dress, shoes, and a highlighted map. By this point, my heart was pounding out of my chest, and sure enough, his note revealed that he was in town! I managed to find my sweetie in downtown Indianapolis (I don't know how I drove when I was shaking so badly!), next to the canal that we loved to walk. He had a picnic set up with everything you can imagine. He made me chicken salad, strawberries and cream, and he even made me a cheesecake! I was in love. :) After we ate, he presented me with a very large box full of bridal magazines, topped with a wedding planner. By the time I processed the gift, I heard Jordan asking if I would marry him. The rest is history. :) As we drove home that night, I held my left hand out the window almost the entire ride, and even shouted to strangers that I was getting married (yes, I do stuff like that!). I remember having so much fun hearing the "behind the scenes" details of how he planted all the clues and postmarked the letter. I've now worn my diamond for 7 years, and it's as sparkly as it was the day I put it on, when it's not caked with dough or baby food :) My husband is the best gift ever, and I'm glad he picked me!

I'm amazed that I'm not flashing my ring in this picture...?

I was TOTALLY relaxed the whole time, too. Ha.

My sis and me sportin' our rings in April, '03 :)

6 comments:

Karis said...

Awww... gotta' admit it. I love engagement stories (and birth stories too!). :-)

shanna said...

Couldn't help smiling the whole way through this one! You guys are adorable.

Anonymous said...

Sue, this was so much fun to read. I knew some of the story but the details about the dress and shoes and postmarked letter I had somehow missed before. What a sweet story!

Nate, Kris, Adrianna and Natalie said...

So fun to remember that day for you guys. I remember anxiously waiting all day b/c we knew what was coming! :) Happy engagement anniversary!!!

jeileenbaylor said...

awww- that was so sweet to take a trip down memory lane- you guys look like such kids (I shouldn't talk - I know- we look 12 in our engagement pictures!) So glad you took the time to write it out :) It will be so nice to have!

Katie Barker said...

Oh - I loved reading your story. Yay for love and boys who do special things!