Suzy's Zoo..... I love my little zoo and hope this blog will help me remember all that is too easily forgotten. I'm learning to love the little things, enjoy the whole, and (all the while) love the God who gives all good things.
June 16, 2009
Where is my mind??
I just recently found out that it IS true that new moms experience some brain "loss" after having a baby, since baby takes many of the great Omega 3's from you. I have proved that so many times in the last 6 months! Not only have I had total brain lapse for common words like "the" and "water", but I also find myself making the most erroneous mistakes in very common tasks. I can't blame it on lack of sleep since my little gal loves her sleep, so I've decided to shift the blame to my recovering brain. :) Yesterday, I made my first baby food. Boy, was it gross. I made green beans, which I normally love. BUT, something about tasting them pureed makes my stomach churn. I sure hope I will be able to eat them again! Normally, Jordan avoids the kitchen like the plague when I get started on a project, because there is no rhyme or reason to my total mess. Dishes piled everywhere, spills on the floor, counter, rug, table, etc... Well, yesterday he was nice enough to hang out with me on his day off, and some of his time in the kitchen was spent making smoothies for our lunch. He's doing his thing, and I'm steaming green beans so I can get them ready to puree. I leave the kitchen temporarily to check a recipe online, and I hear Jordan say, "Babe, what's that smell?" I had failed to check the water in the steamer, and my pan and steamer were about on fire. The stench was horrible and the beans were disgusting as well. ROUND 2. I manage to keep water in the steamer, but somehow the steam from the pan managed to melt down a candle sitting on my stove. No, I didn't notice. That evening, Jordan was kind enough to help me scrape the wax from the burner, tray, and oven surface. The baby food turned out great, thankfully, or I'd probably have just gone to bed. Please tell me that you other new moms have this? :) N-Y-WAYS! Here are some pics of Elyse with her greens. Yes, she did gag momentarily, but all was well. She didn't LOVE them, but she survived the whole ordeal. So did I. Good news: supposedly, not only will my brain recover, but it will actually end up bigger than it was before Elyse. Whew!
EWW!!! :)
We finally blended them with some rice, but she still told us her foot would taste better than that mess.
"Are you kidding me, Dad?"
"Can we skip this stuff?"
ALL DONE!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Haha - great story, and I totally relate, at least to the part about the kitchen. I swear it's amazing I haven't burned the house down! Elyse is too cute. Love that you're trying homemade baby foods!
Ha! This is funny! Sue, you don't have to eat green beans pureed; you can eat them the regular way : ) Don't feel bad about your brain. I haven't noticed any of your slip-ups. I have issues with my brain but I can't think of any good excuses...
haha - I love the story and the pics -everything! Believe you me - I have done some crazy things in the past 6 months too :) I washed my cell phone in my pants. Today I even put my corduroy pants on backwards - I didn't notice until I went to zip them up! haha! The joys of motherhood!
I'm laughing outloud! I have a story too! Last week I was steaming asparagus WITH water in the pan of course - but I let it go a little too long. So not realizing that the water had ALL evaporated and the pan was practically on fire, I placed it ON a rubber hotpad on the middle of our wood kitchen table. When we cleared the table, there was a lovely burn mark the size of the hot pad right in the middle. Yes, I felt like crying and laughing all at the same time - what is wrong with me??? It all started with motherhood, and I wish I could say it got better after child number one: mine has only gotten worse with child number two. Ahhh! I'm sure we get some of this genetically from Mom too. :) Glad Elyse gagged down those beans! Tasty!
I'm not alone!!! :)
Post a Comment